Morale During Hard Economic Times

Options

During hard economic times where layoffs and pause on compensation increases are seen in the industry; what methods do you implement in your teams to keep morale up where there is tension due to an increase not being an option?

Best Answers

• Carlos Alves
    Carlos Alves TSIA Administrator, Moderator, Founding Member | admin
    edited February 19 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Melissa Russell , thanks for your question. It is a hard and up-to-date issue.

In my experience, if you keep honest to the corporate values and you are transparent with people regarding the downturn moment, it’s tuff but it works out. People need to know what and why things are happening.

• Alexander Ziegler
    Alexander Ziegler Founding Member | Expert ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Carlos Alves I fully agree. Honesty is treated as the key - and people understand that if company results are bad there are cuts. But this also means that leadership must be prepared to act once results are better. So, morale can be kept at a certain level if people are certain that after the challenges things are getting better regarding compensation. Any other investment can be perceived negatively as e.g. people could ask why running a big summer party and not increasing salaries

Answers

• Thank you @Carlos Alves and @Alexander Ziegler both for your insights! I cannot agree more that addressing this head on with the team is the best direction to follow. Honesty here is the key in both of your comments and this allows for trust to be maintained with our teams. Alexander you hit a key point here, "But this also means that leadership must be prepared to act once results are better." Preparation is key.